Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Down the Liffey

I can finally say that for once, procrastination has turned out good for me. I was pretty stuck on what to do for this blog, because although Dublin is an amazing city, I haven't seen anything that really stuck out to me personally. That is, until today!
Today, 6 of us went kayaking down the Liffey, which as you know, is in the heart of Dublin. I knew that it was going to be fun, but I didn't really realize how much of the town I would get to see. First of all, the kayak office is located on North Wall Quay, which is way down the Liffey in a part of Dublin I hadn't been to before. We stopped and turned around at the Guinness Storehouse that we visited. So as you can tell, we got to see the whole city from a unique perspective. I felt as if we were taking a trip through time. Some of the buildings are so new, some are old, some are incredibly detailed, and some are plain jane. It was fun trying to figure out which buildings were here before the Easter Rising and which buildings had been added since then. I noticed a lot of the older, more intricate buildings were being renovated. Our tour guide informed me that this was because they were so old, they had a lot of fixing up to do and they were being modernized on the inside. I thought that that was really interesting and definitely something I hadn't even thought about before going on this kayak trip.
All in all, I loved this trip through time in Dublin. It was not only interesting to see the variety of buildings and their ages, but also all of the people of Dublin staring at you as you float down the river. If you are ever in Ireland again, I recommend kayaking down the Liffey with a couple of mates.

No comments:

Post a Comment