Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Talk of all that Irish Nature

     While a city has architectural grandeur and industrial wonders, there is something to be said for the simplistic beauty of nature. I had heard that Ireland had some breath-taking sights, but I never ever thought I would see such a variety when it came to the plants and animals that called Ireland home. Ask anyone of my hiking partners and they will tell you that every new sight fascinated me (and caused a few choice words to escape from my mouth). However, the real fascination lay in the different species I found whilst exploring this island, both in the city and in the country.
     The city has several creatures running around that are both familiar and new. Mangled, slightly deformed pigeons were the norm and could always be spotted scavenging for that last bit of crumb from a recently eaten pastry. Swans and ducks gathered in the ponds of the parks and happily devoured whatever morsels of bread were thrown their way. Magpies and Rooks made several guest appearances in kitchens and bus terminals. It was amazing to me how adaptable these birds were to their environment around humans. Most of them were all too happy to eat from the palm of your hand. They breezily navigated the streets of Dublin better than any of us certainly did. The people of Dublin and especially Howth were also adapted to life with the birds as they shared their crumbs and easily dodged the birds in flight. It was cohabitation at its finest!
    Aside from the animals, Ireland was home to quite the assortment of plant life. I have never seen so much green in one place! The gardens of Coole may be intentionally diverse in plant life,  but Ireland as a whole is too. While on various excursions in the countryside and hiking along the cliffs, I came across so many types of wildflowers and grasses. They hugged the edges of rivers and streams which gave off the appearance of an Austen novel. Paige and I both felt like a Bennett sister as we walked along the little river at Coole. Up along the coastline, the hiking trail was wedged between various plants. Most were wildflowers, ferns, and grasses...but some were very unusual such as what we called the "lugie plants" which were tall grasses with what looked like mucus on the blades. Then, to my utter delight, I came across wild honeysuckle! Now, I'd make my ancestors roll in their graves if I didn't give Irish honkeysuckle a try. The taste was that familiar sweetness which put a little bit of home into Ireland for me. 
   Population wise, Ireland's cities are remarkably diverse in population. This is true for the nature of Ireland as well. With so much limestone in the ground, plants from all over the world can thrive in the Irish climate---from palm trees to honeysuckle. As a result of that diversity, all sorts of animals (especially the little birds) can thrive here as well. What does that prove for Ireland? It proves that this place has the perfect climate for diversity and I think, in time, that diversity will reach all over Ireland (and I'm not just talking about nature). It's an inspiring sight to see that really touched me and gave me hope for places like Belfast. Nature proves that there is certainly hope for cohabitation between diverse groups. 


No comments:

Post a Comment