Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Dreams Are Found Here

A poets mind is often seen as a confusing place, a misunderstood place, and I believe that is what creates some of the most beautiful work. Being in Ireland and walking where some of the greatest poets in history have walked, I've been enquiring a lot about just how exactly these amazing writers come up with the words to put on the paper.
When we think about a man like William Butler Yeats, we know a lot about his personality from family, friends, and diaries. He was a sensitive man and he felt everything very deeply. One thing he felt most deeply, besides his obsession with Maud, was nature. I got the chance to go to Howth, a small town about an hour away from Dublin. There, I found myself walking on Howth Cliffs, which was easily one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen in my life. However, before we even got to the real hiking on the cliffs, we had to trek up a roadway with many spectacular houses, all with an amazing view of the coastline.
I spotted a house that old boy Yeats lived in from 1880-1883 called the Balscadden House, which is pictured below. The quote, which I learned today was about his forbidden love, Maud, really spoke to me at the time of the hike. It reads "I have spread my dreams under your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
Looking at the scenery behind Yeats' old house, some of his poetry made more sense to me. His deeper meanings and love for nature really spoke to me when I got to be up close and personal with some of the sights that influenced his poetry. This 'object' doesn't help me understand the past of Ireland, but it helps me understand one of Irelands greatest poets, who was a big influence when it came to writing about the history of Ireland. It helps me understand the love for Ireland that everyone who fought in the Easter Rising felt so deeply. Seeing the absolute beauty that surrounded Howth Cliffs, I could finally recognize the drive behind the allegiance to Mother Ireland. Everyone who was a part of that revolution had dreams and they are scattered all over present day Ireland. As a foreigner in this wonderful country, I must tread lightly and do my best to see the land as they might have.

No comments:

Post a Comment